Tuesday, November 24, 2009

"Ramblings of a Conservative Cow Doctor"...Free Market look at Welfare for Ranchers

My friend from Sidney, MT keeps telling me about the weekly posts from a "conservative cow doctor" roaming around MT! :) I thought I would post one of Kreyton Kerns (MT State Rep HD 8, veternarian) posts from a few weeks back.  "A Free-Market Look at Welfare for Ranchers"

"Grazing cattle on federal lands is nothing more than welfare for ranchers,” Al said hoping to raise my hackles. I smiled and said nothing as I knew there would be a better time to respond. One month later there was.

It was the second year of Double Rafter Cattle Drives and Al’s group of Moen sales-reps, plumbers and builders joined our fledgling operation. It was the third day out, and after 12 miles climbing the rocky Little Horn Canyon, our leads crossed the river and were making the final, steep, climb into the grassy meadows of the lower parks. I was with Al and several others in the drags, leading the last string of pack mules.

This quarter-mile climb out of Robinson Crossing can be intimidating and the 100 yard stretch at the top is nicknamed the “beaver slide”. I can’t recall ever seeing any sliding beavers; it is far too steep for such wildlife recreational activities, but regardless, we trail cattle up it."   See the rest HERE!

Check out the rest of his posts, very good weekly read.  This week's post is titled, "The Mayflower and the Liberty: Two of America's Greatest Ships"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...